SV: [Fis] Consilience: Writing on the Clouds

From: Søren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 03 Dec 2004 - 00:34:27 CET

Dear All

I am really sorry for not having had the time to participate in this
discussion that is so central to my work. Allow me to point out that my use
of Peirce's philosophy is a way to solve the externalist-internalist
problem, which Peirce does with his triadic philosophy and ontology that
introduces the pure feeling in Firstness and see it as something internal to
matter as it manifests in Secondness and turning into dynamic stabilities in
Thirdness.(My Peirce interpretation seem here to differ from John's). My
paper in the first issue of the electronic journal of TripleC
(http://triplec.uti.at/home.php) try to explain this discussion and why I do
not think that the objective information processing paradigm, cybernetics
and systems theory - not even in Luhmann's sophisticated version - can solve
this problem. This is why I have semiotized Luhmann (in the electronic
http://www.unizar.es/sociocybernetics/Journal/dentro.html Journal of
Sociocybernetics V.3 ,N. 2). Therefore I with Wolfgang Hofkirchner and
Christian Fuchs believe that we have to start our ideas of Consilience with
embodied, semiotic, communicative, conscious human systems in social praxis
and co-operation (cognition, communication and co-operation) in a historical
and evolutionary frame work with a theory of self-organization and
emergence.( We just finished the long version of our report from the group
work conference in Fuschl this year and will soon put it up at the FIS home
page to have your feedback, and we will probably touch on these results in
the Paris conference this summer. Standard and general system science with
information science in it does do the trick in itself. You have to add an
internalist point of view also (I use this concept here different from
Koichiro as I think of the world from within our mind and life world). This
is possible through Peirce's semiotics that is also phenomenological. We
have to start in the middle of the human social life world where knowledge
is created and later cultivated to science. All the critical social studies
of science shows us that it is very difficult to get behind that social
prerequisite for science and get to a truth of a world beyond; be it the
social reality, the real nature, the pure consciousness or the core of life
and body hood. As Bruno Latour point out, we produce quasi-objects of
knowledge and technology that are true and functioning always under special
network, cognitive and technological conditions. Thus to evaluate our
knowledge and the possibility of transdisciplinary common frames of
understanding and knowledge building we always have to reflect on it both
from a social, natural, living and first person conscious or
phenomenological point of view if we want to avoid the positivistic
reductionist conception of the unity of knowledge with physics as the model
science. A view that Wilson and researchers like Dawkins and Dennett have
only moved a little away from by a more refined version of evolution based
on selfish genes.

Full text papers can also be found on
http://www.flec.kvl.dk/personalprofile.asp?id=sbr&p=engelsk