RE: [Fis] Consilience: Writing on the Clouds

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 03 Dec 2004 - 11:17:45 CET

Dear Soren,

I plead for considering the sciences not as a belief systems (like you had
to learn it during your education as a biologist) or only a social practices
(as you have learned it later in life), but as rationalized systems of
expectations (in the plural!). A rationalized system of expectations is not
a an attribute to human beings, but to a discourse among them, in casu a
scientific discourse. This discourse, of course, has to be carried by human
being (and their machinery), but the notion of structural coupling with this
lower-order layer becomes then very central.

The human practices provide the variation or knowledge claims, but the
discourse operates as the selecting structure for the validation. The
discourse is guided by the code as an expected control mechanism. Unlike
Luhmann, I would not define the code as "true/false", but as the expectation
of finding truth using a heuristics. This all remains embedded
phenotypically, but the cognitive dimensions operates as an analytically
independent dynamics that reduces the uncertainty at some places more than
at others.

I hope that this is clarifying.

With kind regards,

Loet