Re: SV: [Fis] Consilience: Writing on the Clouds

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 03 Dec 2004 - 19:17:56 CET

At 04:30 AM 12/3/2004, Søren Brier wrote:

>Dear Loet
>
>I find it very difficult to interpret your argument.
>My point is exactly that reflecting on the prerequisites for science makes
>on more modest about what it is for a kind of knowledge we can obtain this
>way. I understand that you say "one can no longer move behind that
>perspective towards an analysis of the "intangibles" which are partly
>embedded and partly not", which is first a confirmation and second a
>postulate of the existence of something "intangibles" that you are sure have
>an objective existence and it is necessary to analyze to get foundational
>knowledge "behind" the social reality. But from which point of departure do
>you do this? And how does this observation type related to the social messy
>reality? That is my problem. What is the status of the Big Bang theory,
>evolution theory and ecological models, in which I was thought to believe as
>a biologist, when they are not reflected on the basis of their point of
>departure in human semiotic cognition, communication and co-operation? Could
>you please clarify?

I would think that their departure point includes non-human constructed
nature. Otherwise, falsifiability is a joke, and it isn't science. But
perhaps we miss each other here, since I would also say that human semiotic
cognition, communication and cooperation are partly grounded in non-human
nature as well. If you believe that (Peirce surely did), then perhaps we
have no disagreement.

John

I've found the link between apes and civilised men - it's us.
                         -- Konrad Lorenz
Professor John Collier collierj@ukzn.ac.za
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292 F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://www.nu.ac.za/undphil/collier/index.html
http://www.kli.ac.at/research.html?personal/collier
Cybernetics & Human Knowing http://www.imprint-academic.com/C&HK