RE: [Fis] Economic Networks

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 - 07:49:10 CEST

Dear Igor and Bob,

Thank you for your interesting opening to the discussion.
While reading it, I had the impression that the "worldview" is too much
conceptualized as a single and closed system like a Kuhnian paradigm. Since
the 16th century worldviews are in flux and internally
differentiated/differentiating. The economic system of the market, for
example, is mapped cognitively in a discourse other than the discourse of
physics or the discourse of power. The different worldviews (codifications
of the communication) disturb one another and thus can provide another
source of change.

Perhaps, your own statement can be considered as one such worldview, namely
one of ecosystems theory. In this view the resources are finite and
therefore exhaustible. Information resources, however, are not finite. In a
knowledge-based economy (unlike a resource-based economy) other dynamics for
the expansion may feed new loops into the system. For example, Holland is
one of the largest producers of tomatos while tomatos can not be bred in
Holland naturally (because of the lack of sunshine). The production of these
tomatos is completely knowledge-based. Indeed, this is energy-costly, but
energy is only finite at the level of the universe (and not at the level of
the earth).

Thus, one can entertain very different worldviews. The interfaces among them
can be considered as sources of innovation, for example, when market
perspectives and research perspectives can be interfaced.

Perhaps, you can easily integrate this into your model?

With kind regards,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Universit� de Lausanne, School of Economics (HEC);