Re: [Fis] Economic Networks

From: Igor Matutinovic <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 03 May 2005 - 13:53:41 CEST

Dear Loet

I see your point in resource vs. knowledge based economy and I am aware that
you researched extensively in this area. We are probably looking from quite
a different perspectives on these issues. From mine perspective, the
important questions is how socioeconomic systems evolve in one direction or
the other (resource vs. knowledge) and how this evolution impacts on the
environment. For example, how and why Western societies moved from the
"resource" based to the "knowledge" based economies. Or what makes India to
extend in the of "M" compared to the "N" direction? The matrix itself cannot
say nothing about the impact on environment of different combinations MxN,
which is my primary concern in this discussion. As an example, let's extend
the New York-Calcutta dichotomy at the respective national levels. As you
see from the table, the US, which has knowledge-based infrastructure
substantially more developed than India, has its respective ecological
impact world-wide 13 times higher (as measured by Ecological Footprint) and
it consumes 15 times more energy per capita. At the same time, the energy
efficiency of their economies measured by the GDP per unit of energy use is
nearly the same - in fact US lags a bit behind India. Few people would
agree, except perhaps neoclassical economists, that this situation points in
the US being more sustainable than India. In fact many ecological economist
would argue the other way around.

      2004
     EF

      (ha)
     GDP per unit of energy use (PPP$/kg oil equiv)
     energy use p.c.

      (kg oil equiv)

      US
     9,57
     4,0
     7,996

      India
     0,76
     4,4
     515

(Source: World Bank 2004. The Little Green Data Book. Washington D.C.: The
World Bank.; Ecological footprint: http://redefiningprogress.org/footprint/)

I don't believe that strictly formal or strictly physical (thermodynamic)
approaches can answer plausibly questions related to sustainability of
developed and developing economies. The problems and alternative solutions
are embedded in a wider cultural context of individual societies, therefore
I insist on the relvance of worldviews. The Western worldview triad
(rationality, materialism and working ethic) can be derived from economic
history of Western Europe without resorting to Max Weber and the Protestant
ethic but this issue is out of the main scope of the discussion theme. The
main point of the role of Weltanschauung (which elements are often find in
the definitions of culture) can be rephrased as following: collective
behavior is streamlined by institutions and institutions are contingent on a
particular culture. One cannot change arbitrarily the first without first
changing the latter. And if the prevailing behavioral patterns related to
production and especially to consumption do not change substantially in
Western societies than I don believe that any increase in the knowledge
component of economy may compensate it. I think that Stan put all this very
clearly "All exist in the material world, and ALL are resource based!
Definitions of "knowledge-based economy" that I found from OECD and UNCE
give the impression that this constraint has been somehow circumvented.

That is all from my side for the moment. I will be out of the office for the
rest of the week and Bob will post our joint reply to Pedro.

Thank you for your comments and insights!

Igor