Re: [Fis] Economic Networks

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 05 May 2005 - 21:36:33 CEST

Dear Loet,

Just a little clarification needed here.

>What is the difference? Let me take a simple example. Compare two
>megacities like Calcutta and New York. Both have of the order of 10^7
>inhabitants. New
>York is much more resource-intensive (in terms of using energy, etc.) than
>Calcutta, but few of us would consider Calcutta as more sustainable than
>New
>York. For example, in New York the streets are reasonably maintained and
>clean, and one lives with much less risk of infections, etc.

>What makes the difference between Calcutta and New York? I would say a
>knowledge-based infrastructure like first a sewage system, but then also a
>telephone system, a subway system, etc. In short, a whole set of
>communication networks in New York which does not exist in Calcutta. The
>system is better sustainable because a set of coordination mechanisms is in
>place which proliferates on top of "hardware".

Question 1: Is it not true that the first paragraph here explains the
second? NYC simply can afford the goodies listed in p2, and Calcutta can
not?

Question 2: Then if you give Calcutta the same amount of CASH (not
knowledge, but CASH), it will soon have all the same things as NYC?

If YES then what you call Knowledge Based Economy is simply Wealth Based
Economy. If NO we are back to protestant ethics thing against the Indian
ethics.

My opinion: The sewage system and other goodies AS SUCH are not the measure
of sustainability. They become a measure of sustainability ONLY to a degree
in which they affect the efficiency of the local economic, business
processes, when they simply help locals make money in some ways.

Another