[Fis] Economic Networks and the meaning of life!

From: Søren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 07 May 2005 - 18:53:23 CEST

Dear Victoras and Stan

I do not think it is consistent to discuss meaning of operations in a
universe within a physicalistic paradigm. I admit that a thermodynamic
paradigm is more advanced that a mechanistic one encompassing the basic
evolutionary mechanisms and if you add a Wienerian cybernetic information
theory and the inspiration from Schr�dinger, then you now have scientific
concepts that can say something about systems building up structures and
evaluate if they become more complex.

But this objectivistic scientific philosophical framework - and I am tempted
to still call it physicalistic - does not have any theory of meaning, only
of truth. Bateson developed a theory of ecological cybernetic mind as
recursive loops folded into each other carrying differences, but it never
said anything about qualia, free will and consciousness as a first person
experience. I do not know if you want to use fraises like: "what is the
meaning of the computers work seen from the computer?"

My point is that you need to define a concept of meaning within your
paradigm's ontology (including both a world view and a conception of the
human) and relate your concepts of truth and meaning to that, to be able to
answer the questions you ask. This is why I found it necessary to go from a
cybernetic informational world view to a Peircean semiotic one like Stan
-although I think we have different versions. Your question cannot be
answered on the thermodynamic level.

Even on the semiotic it is very difficult. Is the goal of the universe or
rather the Semios to evolve as much semiotic freedom as possible? Is it the
goal of living systems? Is free will the highest gift in the universe?

You can then easily add a spiritual dimension to your pan semiotic theory
and include the idea of the mystical union. If so is the meaning of life
then to unify mentally with the universe and its cause in a mystical union
maybe on a transcendental level? If yes to these questions, then: why??

Even if the answer is: To obtain the highest love and happiness and wise
conduct, you can ask again: Though love and happiness they feel nice and
make us live in a better way together you can still ask why? To what
purpose?

You can add heaven and hell or reincarnation with thousands of life cycles
in learning to be good, wise and loving, and Buddha nature or a personal or
triune God - and the question still remains unanswered. What is the purpose
and meaning of God and what he does with us?? The answer is - even in the
Bible - that only he/she knows.

I am afraid that the condition of being inside a system does not allow us to
answer questions about its purpose and meaning.

I will be grateful if anyone can provide a more satisfactory answer.

    Søren