RE: [FMG-SPAM] - Re: [Fis] leteral comment - reductionism - Bayesian Filter detected spam

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 31 May 2005 - 06:53:58 CEST

Dear Aleks and colleagues,

In our culture the "meta-thinking" reshapes the underlying reality in a
techno-economic evolution. In my country, for example, "nature" is a polder
vegetation, while there was a lake there originally. Nobody remembers the
lake except that it is in the name of the area. Similarly, almost nobody
remembers why one had to let people bleed when they felt ill in the Middle
Ages. The "meta-thinking" does penetrates the underlying reality and changes
it at the level of the social system.

For example, we still use currency like coins, but most of our payment
system is in terms of accounts. This has become part of our physical
reality. Thus, the model of a reality out there, and us here with
meta-thinking is no longer valid. The meta-thinking has got a dynamics of
its own and this dynamics has become part of our knowledge-based reality.
This does not preclude our freedom to think; on the contrary, our individual
ideas and phantasies provide the variation from which the supra-individual
transformation of culture "lives". "Nature" then becomes a provisional
definition of the previous state of the system. Before the polders we had
lakes (in the 17th century). Before the computers we had typewriters; before
the banknotes we had coins which had value (like energy). The more complex
solutions can sometimes replace the previous ("natural") ones.

"All that is solid melts into air" (Marx, Communist Manifesto, 1848). Marx
believed that there was a solution to this dialectics. However, as soon as
it is a tialectics, there is no solution but a temporary one. The movement
is ongoing because it enables us to process more complexity. Perhaps,
subsystems (e.g., nations) compete in terms of processing complexity (like
in my example of New York versus Calcutta). "Nations" and "nature" refer to
the Latin verb "nascere": to be born. All systems which are born and exhibit
a life-cycle are still material. Informational systems as part of social
systems do not have to be born, but are generated by interhuman interactions
and scientific discourses. (We can use the metaphor of a "life-cycle", but
that is just for convenience.) The dynamics of this cultural evolution are
different from biological evolution in important respects. The specification
of these differences perhaps may help to move the cultural evolution forward
by making it more "self-" knowledge-based.

With kind regards,

Loet