Re: [Fis] nail found in Zaragoza

From: Igor Matutinovic <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 31 May 2005 - 12:39:02 CEST

Reply to Pedro:

your story is a nice metaphor of the relative & arbitrary efficiency of
markets. Like in the case of the nail, in most instances the price of a
product/service depends on the current socio-cultural perception of its
value and is only vaguely related to its "objective" or intrinsic
properties. Only a few years ago the price of oil reached the bottom of 10
US$ /barrel - reflecting our preference for economic growth, cheap food and
globalized trade in almost everything that may be consumed. At the same time
it was well known for several years that exploitation of oil reserves is
expected to reach the peak by the 2020-2030 and from then onwards start its
irreversible, steep decline. The price mechanism does not take this
information into account in spite of the fact that considerably higher oil
prices would stimulate early introduction of new technologies (in terms of
energy efficiency) and development of alternative energy sources. Since this
is believed to occur at the expense of economic growth and personal
consumption in developed countries, our long terms socioeconomic goals are
being sacrificed for short term preferences. In my opinion it is entirely a
cultural fact that we value more short term personal material consumption
than future political/economic stability and the prospects of life of our
children. Other cultures in a similar situation may have acted differently,
so this is ultimately the question of the worldview.

The story is also suggestive of the technology bubble burst in 2000/2001.
Our (cultural) belief in prospects of high technology (IT in this case)
fueled by media and mainstream economics (the illusion of "new economy" that
will free us from the business cycle, as NCE economist R. Dornbusch voiced
in the mid nineties) and combined with speculatory greed for profits drove
the value of IT companies to tens of times their book value (the relation
with the "intrinsic" value was completely lost). Then the bubble burst and
we learned about WorldCom and other scandals...
The problem is that mainstream economics (NCE) has no way to deal with "nail
stories", past and future alike.

All the best
Igor