Re: [Fis] nail found in Zaragoza

From: Robert Ulanowicz <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 15 Jun 2005 - 21:46:14 CEST

>On Tue, 31 May 2005, Pedro Marijuan wrote:
>
> > who knows whether conceptualizations on social networks, multid.
> > partitions, ascendancy, exergy & emergy, etc. may provide a gauging
> > system of "natural" standards against whom the always flickering
> > constructs of markets might be compared (at least as an orientation!).

Pedro, Bravo! I have long hoped to see someone caculate the ascendency of
an economy! To me knowing the ascendency of an economic network tells one
a lot more than GDP as to how the economy is functioning. Our current
measures gauge only gross activity levels. In ascendency, activity levels
are modulated by information- theoretic weights that convey how
effectively activities in one sector affect those in another, i.e., how
well the economy is performing as an organized whole. I have long tried
to interest Hermann Daly in such application, but to no avail. Igor (M) is
probably the only economist who has paid ascendency any heed.

The neat thing is that the same data used to calculate the ascendency will
also reveal its "overhead", or strength-in-reserve. It's a "two-fer"! (Two
for one. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Robert E. Ulanowicz | Tel: (410) 326-7266
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory | FAX: (410) 326-7378
P.O. Box 38 | Email <ulan@cbl.umces.edu>
1 Williams Street | Web <http://www.cbl.umces.edu/~ulan>
Solomons, MD 20688-0038 |