Re: [Fis] Conference aftermath

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 13 Jul 2005 - 14:52:56 CEST

Dear Pedro and all

I am very sorry not having been in Paris for this important event.
Just a suggeston concerning point 4 of the agenda. Instead of "Ethical guidelines" I would suggest: "Information ethics." Ethical "guidelines" is in fact an oxymoron as far as ethics is understood as the reflection (or even as problematization) of morality (=the moral rules of behaviour which are the facto forming a society). So ethics is a science (a reflection on a phenomenon) and can therefore not be identified with a "code of morals." Besides this, ethical questions of information scientists (for which probably the "ethical guidelines" could be useful) are only a very small part of what I call information ethics which has to do with the digitization of all kinds (!) of phenomena, their manipulation, communication and use.
Some six years ago I created the International Center for Information Ethics (ICIE) which integrates now some 200 members world wide. I warmly invite those of you intersted in this field to become members of this network: http://icie.zkm.de (here is the list of members: http://icie.zkm.de/join) We have no fees.

ICIE issues a book series at Fink Verlag in Munich. Our next volume will be on "Localizing the Internet. Ethical Issues in Intercultural Perspective".

Finally we issue also a peer reviewed online journal (free of charge): IRIE - Internat. Review of Information Ethics: http://www.i-r-i-e.net Our last issue was devoted to search engines, the next one will focus on e-games.

kind regards

Rafael

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) University of Applied Sciences, Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: rafael@capurro.de; capurro@hdm-stuttgart.de
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net