Re: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ?

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 29 Aug 2005 - 23:32:34 CEST

re Sayed's:

> I am searching for a critique on the definition of the term:
>"Information". One definition, I am using is : Information is a thing
>which has only the property of conveying meaning. Thus a newspaper is not
>information since it also has the property of being made up of paper, it
>has certain dimensions, it has print ink and so on. It carries
>information. Shannon's theory basis its definition of information on
>probability theory. For a thing to be more probable compared to another
>it has to be different. This differentness means "different". For one
>unit to be recognizable from another it has to have some differentness.
>Can I get a critque of this? Also citations and directions to bibliography
>will be welcomed. Syed Ali

While I can't comment on formal definitions, I can make some possibly
useful comments:

I use simultaneously two definitions:
(1) from information theory: a reduction in uncertainty. This has no other
associated properties.
(2) functionally: any constraint on entropy production. The latter is a
handy general way to refer to any material activity whatever. Again, while
it refers to some kind of material configurations, and is always the result
of historical contingency, as a definition no particular other properties
are referred to (but are implied).

You definition involving "meaning" is really a semiotically inspired one.
My (2) above can be associated with meanings.