Re: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ?

From: Julio Stern <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 30 Aug 2005 - 17:03:40 CEST

I think I can NOT agree with this one:

>(1) from information theory: a reduction in uncertainty. This has no other
>associated properties.

I work with Bayesian Statistics, where the main operation is of the form

  p_n(\theta) \propto p_{0}(\theta) L(\theta | X) ,

where:
- \theta is the (vector) parameter of the statistical model,
- p_0 and p_n are the prior and posterior distributions
  of the parameter \theta, and
- L(\theta | X) is the likelihood function of \theta,
  given the observed data X=[x_1,x_2,...x_n]

Now: It is possible that the observation X is such that
the uncertainty* of p_n is greater than that of p_0
(* entropy, variance, or whatever you want)
Still, the information in X is statistically relevant!

-- Julio Stern