[Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ?

From: Michel Petitjean <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 31 Aug 2005 - 11:24:12 CEST

To: fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ?

Dear Mark and dear FISers,

The << how to apply it (Information Theory) >> is crucial !!
Considering the Shannon information, it could be
valid in all fields, provided that information theory
is itself a suitable model in each of these fields.
But even in the probability field, the Shannon information
is inadequate where the Fisher information is adequate
(and conversely), and of course information theory cannot
apply to all areas (scientific or not; trying to do this
would be a difficult exercise).
Anyway, it does not preclude the fact that information
theory could be applied in many situations, far from the
original context in which Shannon was operating.
Exiting from the scientific field, I consider e.g.
information in press. Do you know a journalist able
to show us how Shannon information is suitable in
the context of TV news ?
May be somebody will find one day a generic definition
satisfying all requirements, but I guess that the debate
is far from being closed.
I recommend the reading of Mark's papers, which undoubtly
feed this debate:
http://www.mdpi.org/entropy/htm/e5020146.pdf
http://www.mdpi.org/fis2005/F.08.paper.pdf
(both papers are in open access).