Re: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ?

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 01 Sep 2005 - 19:07:47 CEST

The argument that information is the "difference that makes a
difference" - which has been especially popular in recent years -
troubles me. It requires either a blending of discernment that I simply
cannot accept at this level, or it fails to describe the zero sum game.

Nor can I accept the argument given here that data is information - I
think you are confusing two distinct things.

 From my point of view, there is "state" - and one might describe state
and call the description "data." In any system of states then
"information" is the difference between any two - and one might use
descriptions of these states (datum) and a system of logic to reason
about the difference. A collection of such differences then allows us
to consider "patterns of information."

Neither "state," "information" nor "patterns" in these definitions
require any complexity to be involved in an interpretation - a
mechanical interpretation is sufficient.

"Recognition" (as opposed to "comparison") is a process of complexity -
involving motile transformations in organisms. Complexity requires the
introduction of additional concepts.

With respect,
Steven

--