Re: SV: SV: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ?

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 03 Sep 2005 - 00:21:13 CEST

Responding to Søren's suggestion, and after perusing the multiple responses
to Sayed's question, I rework my notion of information as:

(1) Information is engendered by a reduction in variety / possibilities /
alternatives (from information theory)
(2) Materially it functions as a constraint (restrictive or enabling) on
entropy production (that is to say, on any happening whatever) (from
thermodynamics)
(3) In this connection it can become associated with meanings if its
presence or effects make a difference to some system of interpretance (from
semiotics).

STAN