Re: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ? (fis teamworkship!)

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 13 Sep 2005 - 20:27:19 CEST

Dear Pedro,

Your posting here clearly articulates my own thinking on the matter - I
am in complete agreement.

As I pointed out in my earlier post, I believe the point of distinction
lies at the birth of complexity. I will go further to argue my
hypothesis that all complexity is the manifestation of the engineering
of sentience.

There is indeed a point at which mechanical interpretation is no longer
sufficient, and it is at that point that our current models of
information break down. Our existing mathematical tools prevent us from
adequately providing a description of this information model - we simply
do not today have a formal convention by which we can build consensus.

My own theories rely on the introduction of a new universal primitive
(analogous to gravity - inert and present) to account for this shift and
requires that information in complexity account for the presence of
experience and the resulting evolution of senses by natural selection.

In my own work I have introduced a primitive operation "experience-of,"
the quantified result of which is the benefit it provides to the
survival of organism - i.e., it can be applied quantitatively to the
tensor or vector in which it is found. This is very early work and it
is very far from clear to me today that this approach will be sufficient.

However, in applying the approach to a fully integrated set of equations
and information theory I am developing of a notion of "covariance" that
will capture complexity (motile sensory organism) while describing the
non-complex phenomena involved.

It may be that in such equations the distinction that you point to can
be adequately and formally expressed. It certainly requires additional
concepts - as I said earlier this month - that deals with the complex
process of "recognition."

With respect,
Steven

--