Re: [Fis] Re: What is the definition of information ? (fis teamworkship!)

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 13 Sep 2005 - 23:50:34 CEST

Reacting to Igor R's posting (and keeping in mind Pedro's call for some way
to at least formally mark a distinction between the animate from the
inaninmate): As a not unimportant side issue, I submit that 'physical' and
'material' are NOT the same. 'Material', following loosely the Marxist
perspective, refers to the sticky world embodied in baryonic matter, while
'physical' includes much more than that -- dark matter, dark energy, QM
forces, etc. In the history of the Big Bang, there were physical phenomena
before there was baryonic matter. This could be represented as the
specification hierarchy:
{physical dynamics {material connections {biological forms {socioeconomic
traditions {personal stories}}}}}. with each bracket (from set theory)
marking an emergence of a new realm by way of refinement of the previous
one. Note that, following Igor, there could be placed an even more general
bracket outside of these, labelled 'information', or following Charles
Perce, it could be labelled 'universal mind'. Thus,
{information {physics (chemistry {biology {human culture {individual
mentality}}}}}}.
     As a footnote to Steven, I call this structure 'Intensional Complexity'.

STAN