Re: [Fis] Re: What is information ?

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 17 Sep 2005 - 22:23:24 CEST

Dear Pedro,

Given that the definition of information we seek should broadly be
stated in English as "that which informs" by which we mean that which
identifies cause - that we, as sentience entities, may capture, analyze
and make predictions from. Then the simple general notion that
"difference" is information is a sound basis for the notion in the
physical realm - at all levels of complexity.

The shift between the complex and the non-complex systems of information
comes from our underlying theories of nature that allow us to interpret
difference. Gravity is my favorite example here where we see a clear
progression of interpretation from Galileo through Newton to Einstein -
all founded essentially on the same observable differences.

Falsification plays a central role in moving us from one interpretation
to another - and it is because Newton's theories are falsifiable that we
can readily accept Einstein. Einstein's theories explain more of the
observable differences - IOW "they have greater consistency with the
available information."

The theory of Evolution is informed by observable differences at a level
of greater complexity - and it can be seen that science makes the same
mistakes as it did between Newton and Einstein. It is the underlying
premise that alters the interpretation of apprehended information.

So, on reflection, I can be quite happy with extending the simple
difference model I laid out earlier as the fundamental definition of
"that which informs" if we allow that all apprehended information in
semeiosis demands models of interpretation (the basis of Analysis) to
provide us with embodied knowledge and truth (the embodied experience of
the map between what we know and the way things are).

The basic physical definition of "information" holds despite our
apprehension and there is no conflict in moving from the animate to the
inanimate.

The formal metaphysical question then becomes how we analyze and express
our apprehension and interpretation - and this is no longer a question
of the definition of information but now one of analysis, communication
and convention, by which we build consensus in formal deliberation.

It is in this context that my proposed quantification of and role for a
primitive of experience apply - we simply cannot correctly interpret the
available information without it. This premise and the formal operator
"experience-of" essentially add the basis of complexity to current
convention and moves us toward a place for experience in our formal models.

Now, clearly these models of interpretation that exist as the result of
semeiosis do, in the common sense of the word, inform - they do assist
us, in semeiosis, to "identify" cause - and it may be here that
clarification is required - since this usage of the terms is a "category
error" by the above reasoning.

With respect
Steven

--