Re: [Fis] Re: What is information ?

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 18 Sep 2005 - 22:38:33 CEST

A number of misconceptions crept into Stan's interpretation of my
posting that I'd like to correct.

Stan is right to point out that falsification is an essential component
of any scientific theory. Unfortunately I have found myself repeatedly
reminding good scientists of this fact in recent times. I know that it
should go without saying - but it seems necessary in currently.

Newtons theory of attracting forces is falsified by Einsteins GR.
Falsification occurs because GR makes predictions that account for
phenomenon not accounted for by Newtonian gravity; in the precession of
the perihelion orbit of Mercury. That Newton's equations remain
pragmatically useful on Earth is beside the point.

The primitive I propose is not equivalent to anything in Peircian
semeiotics - though Peirce does on occasion talk in monotheist terms
that might sound similar. In fact all panpsychic theories sound similar
- they are not, in fact. Indeed, it is not at all clear that my
hypothesis qualifies as panpsychic (but I humor people that think that
it does).

The primitive is not equivalent to the common notion of observation in
quantum or classical terms - though it is the primitive by which
observation assembles in senses.

Laszlo makes the category error I observed in my earlier posting. He
does not define information in physical terms.

See an outline review of my work at http://www.what-it-all-means.com

Here is a copy of a recent abstract:

      Engineering Sentience: Life, the Evolution of Senses and the
      Familiar Mind

By Steven Ericsson Zenith revised at August 22, 2005 10:46 PM.

We present an explanation of experience in nature, a theory of
sentience, that describes the initiation of life, the evolution of
senses, and the construction of the familiar mind.

We view the physical construction of senses as an engineering by natural
selection against a previously unconsidered universal primitive. By
analogy, we describe the primitive as inert and primitive in the same
manner that gravity is inert and primitive. By its presence alone, it is
responsible for the introduction of complexity into the universe.

The primitive can be quantified as the value experience gives to the
survival of organisms. Physiology initiates and assembles by virtue of
the presence of this primitive alone; the nature of experience as sense
is characterized by the physiological assembly. In our model of
sentience, this primitive-of-experience is the fundamental element of
familiar high-order experiences.

In essence, we observe that it is only necessary to introduce the
presence of this primitive for a working model of life, the evolution of
senses, and the construction of the familiar mind to be constructed.

This novel view changes how we look at the phenomenal evidence and, in
particular, sees all biochemistry as the mechanics of the hypothesized
engineering of sentient structures.

The hypothesis is fully reductive and provides falsifiable predictions
that illustrate the engineering we propose.

With respect,
Steven