Fw: [FIS] Re: What is information?

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 05 Oct 2005 - 11:18:47 CEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Igor Rojdestvenski
To: Kevin Kirby (by way of Pedro Marijuan<marijuan@unizar.es>)
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [FIS] Re: What is information?

Dear Kevin and others,

Very interesting post, the more interesting to argue. The ribosome does not have a function. We assign its behavior a certain goal which we call "function". A very interesting treatise on this can be found at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/utils/lofref.fcgi?PrId=3051&uid=14555626&db=PubMed&url=http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=reprint&pmid=14555626

The article is called "The fiction of function".

The existence of a network in physical sense is also highly questionable. I may seem boringly formal, but as long as we do definitions here, we should be. There are no metabolic networks in the Nature, but pools of interacting substances (molecules). Really physical is a molecule and interactions between the molecules. All the rest, like chains of reactions, metabolic networks and so on -- all this is our "model", our "explanation" certain chains of events and concomitant interactions. It is like in the world of Feynman diagrammes some diagrammes are called "watermelons" for their shape, but nobody expects them to really taste sweet and fruity.