Re: [Fis] Re: What is information ?

From: Koichiro Matsuno <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 06 Oct 2005 - 13:52:19 CEST

Dear Jerry,

   Your remarks are almost always hard to respond in a proper manner. A
principal reason for this rests upon me, and not upon you. I have been
constantly referring to situated logic, instead of propositional logic.
Classical sciences are a kingdom of propositional logic, especially
classical one, while quantum sciences also have some affinity toward a
particular type of propositional logic known as quantum logic. In contrast,
situated logic comes to the fore once the relationship between the context
and the contextual elements is simultaneously focused upon. Identification
of the context requires the act of measurement, and situated logic is
conditioned on the act of measurement. If propositional logic is the only
rule of the game in town, most of what I have said may remain irrelevant.
Instead, if there happens to be a case for conditional statements to
survive, situated logic may have some room for its own survival.

   Either good or bad, the distinction between types and tokens is not crisp
in situated logic, depending upon how the context for both could be
conceived of in the first place. A most defensive strategy here must be to
make differences in tokens ubiquitous, as dismissing a sturdy problem of how
different types could emerge, as much as possible. For instance, energy of
the first law of thermodynamics is a name assigned to something which
preserves its quantity while being subject to its transformation in quality.
Consequently, a new difference arising from energy transformation is a
"non-definitional variable", asking a new nametag only after the event.

   In this regard, occurrence of a Planck's quantum is very peculiar in that
both the context (the particle-like nature) and the contextual elements (the
wave-like nature) appear simultaneously as bare empirical phenomena, instead
of as logic. It may correspond to appearance of a new type in the sense that
it remains robust even in presence of adverse disturbances. It would not be
required to assign a new nametag for distinction every time de novo
disturbances are imposed. One unique aspect with a Planck's quantum is its
coherence linearly superposed.

   As following along almost the similar line, one may expect to have a
nonlinear quantum coherence as pointing to appearance of a further new type
if it remains robust. This will be a matter of totally empirical or
experimental issue as much as appearance of a Planck's quantum has been so.
Once the robustness is empirically guaranteed, one may wish to apply to it
propositional logic, situated logic or whatever else depending upon the
situation.

   The citric acid cycle which we thought as an example showing an operation
of a quantum as a heat engine exhibiting a nonlinear coherence is
exclusively empirical and experimental (Matsuno, K & Nemoto, A. 2005,
"Quantum as a heat engine: the physics of intensities unique to the origins
of life" Phys. Life Rev vol 4 now online on Elsevier's ScienceDirect) What
is informational here is to come up with something surprising from the
participatory perspective.

   I may have touched upon some of your concern only cursorily.

   Cheers,
   Koichiro