RE: [Fis] Re: What is information ?

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 07 Oct 2005 - 07:53:47 CEST

Dear John,

Your feeling of going around in circles is almost always an effect of not
listening. ("Grumpy, grumpy"). I understand that you want us to read more
of your previous oeuvre. (I read some of it, but not all.)

Let me begin by quoting you from the previous email:

"For one thing, complete formalization of meaning kills meaning. Meaning
must be open-ended and fallible."

First, I am not sure that meaning is a living thing that can be killed. I
would like to distinguish analytically between the embodiment of meaning
and the meaning-processing in cultural processes. That is why I claimed in
the previous email that social systems contain one more degree of freedom.
I suppose that we agree that meaning can be considered as an attribute of
the communication. Meaning is generated by exchanging information on top of
the information exchange process. This can first be done by the
communicating systems which provide meaning to the information, but in
social systems one is additionally able to communicate meaning. It
generates a next layer of possible exchanges. In biological systems,
meaning can only be developed along a life-cycle. A social system, however,
contains a non-linear dynamics of processing situational meanings. This is
what I mean with an additional degree of freedom.

For example, some meanings can be codified in a scientific discourse and
others are not. Thus, in addition to stabilization of a meaning like in a
niche of communication, meanings can also be globalized. I suppose that you
mean this reference to a horizon of meaning with "open-ended and fallible."
The system of reference, however, is different in social systems from
biological ones. In the latter the system of reference for the "open-
endedness" is a given system, while in social systems this selection
environment of possible meaning is also generated by the exchanges as a
system of expectations.

Most of the authors you cite are generalizing (or not) on the basis of
biological systems theory. This was also at the center of the exchange
between Sven and me: what is the differentia specifica of a social system?
It seems to me that this is to be found in the way how meaning is processed
differently from the processing of meaning in biological and psychological
systems. At the psychological level, meaning is still coupled
(structurally?) to the biological environment. In the social exchange of
meaning a bifurcation between the production of meaning and the diffusion
of meaning seems possible.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm>

  _____