Fw: [Fis] "The fiction of function".

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 08 Oct 2005 - 15:17:58 CEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Igor Rojdestvenski
To: Jerry LR Chandler
Cc: fis@listas.unizar.es
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Fis] "The fiction of function".

Dear Jerry,

Thanks for your post. I meant to be provocative. Once we begin to absolutise our theories or even our systems of symbols, we drift away from natural physics, that is, become metaphysical. The question I still strive to get an answer to is, simply put, as follows:

Is information physical or metaphysical?

This question, in principle, may be
1) Answered either way, depending on the definition of information.
2) Eliminated, if it is possible to show (see some modern and not so modern quantum mechanical speculations) that physical and metaphysical are inseparable, that the physics of processes in the nature depend on those who observe them (see directed mutations in biology, quantum entanglement and such like in physics, "El Farol bar" problem in economics, etc).

I am merely listing the possibilities here and not advocating any of these alternatives. But we should be aware of the playground. Otherwise we will be entangled in an endless web of oxymoronic tautologies.

Igor