AW: [Fis] Re: What is information ?

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 17 Oct 2005 - 21:44:04 CEST

Pedro's pirouette on the meaningless (but socially necessary) small talk, by which one shows that one does not decline the communication, these polite phrases without any information remind me of following anecdote from the world of numbers and logical relations:
There is a most usual sentence in its most usual form. This is the description of the (absolutely nondescript) central element. This sentence does not say anything, relative to this sentence are all other sentences saying something (different, differently), are short, long, thick, thin, clever, nonsensical etc. In each and every dimension, it is relative to this absolutely no-news sentence that the others get a measure of anything-ness.
For those who delight in numeric skeletons of the logical space, the most trivial (logically devoid of info) sentence details the addition of 65 into some 16 summands. Every logical sentence (in the natural and formal sciences) gets its meaning by its deviation to the ur-smalltalk, namely that 65 is made up the most frequently among all numbers that can be made up and that its most usual way of being made up is by using 16 summands (which therefore average roughly 4). Nice, isn't it? The logical zero point is calibrated on the numeric extent of 65, isn't that funny?
Like in the cold war, the Kremlin and the White House sent each other every day on the red telex a poem by Pushkin or a speech by Lincoln. Just to show that everything is workin ok, no news at all.

Karl

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----