[Fis] Molecular-Experimental sciences (II)

From: Pedro Marijuan <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 25 Nov 2005 - 11:32:58 CET

Dear colleagues,

Trying to sum up the themes of my yesterday message (in this my second post
of the week), the emphasis might be put in the insufficient theoretical
distinction, real conflation, between:

INFORMATION PROCESSING SYSTEMS

PROCESSUAL LIFE CYCLES

As a matter of fact, the latter have been caught under the wings of the
former as one of the core ideas of the "sciences of the artificial" (eg, in
whole disciplines such as artificial intel., cognitive psych., artificial
life, molecular computing...). Ideas and philosophies of information have
been imported and circulated into the "sciences of the natural" without
much trouble --aren't living organisms but "molecular machines"? Even more,
most of the rhetorics under the banner of information society, knowledge
engineering, entrepreneurial information, etc., is also built around
deliberate confusion between the two realms --aren't we but info processing
systems?, why couldn't computers be conscious?

Clarifying the relationships along the above informational blurred boundary
may be important ---perhaps by theorizing along the processual
characteristics of life cycles we could advance response to some of the
fundamental questions proposed by Ted about the fis agenda (his report at
<http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/goranson1> deserves very
careful reading).

greetings,