Re: [Fis] Molecular-Experimental sciences (II)

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 28 Nov 2005 - 11:04:58 CET

Dear Pedro and all,

what does it mean "aren't we but..." (or is this or that "but"...)? Some
weeks ago I suggested a similarity between two different levels (the social
and the molecular). Loets answer was that "we can make an analogy among
almost every system. This may serve us a heuristics." Of course, the
formulation "something is nothing but..." is reductionistic and as such it
aims at deleting any kind (?) of analogical heuristics that starts by
acknowledging different levels of discourse according to different level of
the phenomena at stake.
I am not defending any method based on "analogies" just because analogies
do not themselves pay attention to the phenomena as such. This is, I think,
what Pedro is saying, when he speaks about the "deliberate confusion
between the two realms" (the social and the molecular). Sometimes it is
better to forget the formulation "nothing but" Otherwise we could say that
this group is, for instance, "nothing but" an energetic exchange between
our computers of whatever...
One main aspect of a science of information or, as I prefer to say, of a
message theory, is to make ourselves clear that messages as "causes" have
implications (or "effects") that go beyond the nature of the sender. This
is the "basic law" of such a new science "new" with regard to the
conception "causa aequat effectum" as analized by Peter Fleissner some
years ago. What we do not have is, I agree with Ted Goranson, a theory that
explains how (and what kind) messages interact also according to different
time schedules. But it is, at least, an advace if we are aware that we need
such a theory (or a cluster of theories) and that the concept of message is
at the core of such a theory. It is already at the core of Shannon's theory.

kind regards

Rafael

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) University of Applied Sciences, Wolframstr. 32,
70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: rafael@capurro.de; capurro@hdm-stuttgart.de
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de