Re: [Fis] quantum & bionetworks

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 14 Dec 2005 - 16:36:05 CET

Dear FIS,

As usual, I am highly irregular in my contributions. I would like to make a
sporadic remark on quantum complexity. In my opinion, the quantum
measurement process is at the core of emergence of complexity in quantum
systems.

Suppose the instrument A is measuring the object B. B has a certain
complexity, and A, as a result of measurement, becomes more complex. Suppose
A is a photofilm, and B is the object of the photographer's interest. Before
the measurement A was simple (uniform). After the measurement B is encoded
in A, and A becomes non-uniform and therefore more complex.
    In classical measurement A measures B. In the limit of infinitely
precise A it just becomes a replica of B and, therefore, as complex as B.
Thus classical measurement becomes in the limit exact.
    In quantum measurement A measures the system of A and B, i.e. the
instrument is embedded in the measured object, is part of it. Here the
situation is more involved. A becomes more complex as a result of
measurement, and, concomitantly, so becomes the measured system, which is (A
and B). Therefore, as the measurement develops, A becomes more and more
complex. A measures (A and B), i.e. A in the process of measuring (A and B),
i.e. A measuring (A and B) and so on. However the measured system (A and B)
keeps ahead of it in complexity, because A is always part of (A and B). If
B, in turn, also measures (A and B), we have a steady increase in complexity
of A and B. A metaphor could be looking at one's self in the mirror, and
seeing the reflection of the mirror in one's eyes, and reflection of these
eyes in this reflected mirror, etc...
    This recursion is not instantaneous but develops in time and, in my
view, represents a pretty good model for evolution. A cell mechanism A
adapts (measures) to the cell environment, which it is part of. During this
adaptation it increases its complexity and changes (by its very presence)
the cell environment, which thus also increases its complexity. Given that
there are many such mechanisms (enzyme catalyzed chemical reactions,
organelles, membranes, etc), each mechanism increases its complexity by
reflecting on the presence of the totality of the other mechanisms.

Hope anyone can understand this mess.

Igor