[Fis] defining information

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 08 Jan 2006 - 21:00:03 CET

hi all this is my 1st msg to the list.
in msg #2146 HCVB proposes defining a new science
of information. an exciting idea.

http://fis.icts.sbg.ac.at/mailings/2146.html

I just bought HCVBs book "info" in softcover & am advancing
thru it. (much more motivation now that Ive discovered the FIS
resource.)

my own direction into this line of inquiry comes from
algorithmic theory. computer science. (I work in industry, java
engr, something of an academic wannabe.)

so I am inclined to
define "information" in algorithmic terms. maybe something
like "the entity that a turing machine sequentially manipulates".
but Im still working on it.

I notice there is some related material on this web site on
"ecological economics & information". I have some related ideas
on this in an online 62 page paper called "fractional reserve banking
as economic parasitism", downloadable here in pdf form:

http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/wpawuwpma/0203005.htm