Re: [Fis] Robert Rosen's modeling paradigm

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 26 Jan 2006 - 23:53:21 CET

Commenting upon Igor's

>On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Igor Rojdestvenski wrote:

>> 1. I kind of do not understand what is, in your opinion, bottom-up and
>> top-down. I always viewes as follows:
>>
>> Top-down: a system that is built by design
>> Bottom-up: a system that develops as a result of creation and recreation of
>> interactions between elements, i.e. self-organizing system.
     This is a common -- I will say - mistake. In a system, as the world
appears to be, that is organized as a scale hierarchy, everything that
happens is generated (at a focal level -- say, in a cell) from
potentialities generated at a next lower level (within metabolism at the
molecular level) and permitted / selected by boundary conditions imposed
from a higher levels (say, an organism in this example). Reality is
simultaneously bottom-up AND to-down in the material world insofar as it
appears to be hierarhically structured.

Guiseppe answered:
>Top-down: it proceeds by DIFFERENTIATION, from a unity (one cell becomes
>several different ones, largely on the grounds of the geometric relative
>structuring - and more: embryogenesis)
     This is OK as a way to differentiate natural events from mechanistic
ones. This is the way a painting or sculpture is produced as well. But it
can be placed within a hierarchcal framework to find a complete triadic
analysis.

>Bottom-up: put pieces together.
     This is the mechanistic way. Note that it requiers a manufactury,
etc. in a larger hierarchical framework. Again, the complete picture is
triadic.