RE: [Fis] biological "dynamics"

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 27 Jan 2006 - 11:45:41 CET

Dear John and colleagues:

The issue is, in my opinion: under which conditions is the emerging system
able to develop an additional degree of freedom? If this is the case, the
situation cannot be contained in the phase space ex ante.

I cannot oversee this for biological systems. It seems to me that they are
able to provide meaning to the events (Maturana), but that this meaning
cannot again be communicated. Language provides us with evolutionary
achievement to communicate both (Shannon-type) information and meaning
(although meaning remains elusive as an order of expectations). Meaning is
provided with hindsight; a meaning-processing system can develop a model of
the system to which meaning is provided and thus develop Rosen-type
anticipation.

Would this all be contained ex ante, or would it add a dimension to the
information processing? The number of dimensions is a property of the model,
in my opinion. One would need one more dimension to model a
meaning-processing system than one which would only process (Shannon-type)
information, wouldn't one? For example, the system would need this
additional dimension in order to play with time as a degree of freedom (for
the anticipation).

Am I still communicating? Anyhow, this is my second mail for this week and
given Pedro's rule, the communication comes now to an end.

The point about mutual information in three dimensions relates this
discussion to the one which I sometimes entertain with Aleks Jakulin.
(Aleks, you have still two opportunities!) The configuration within the
system can (by chance?) develop into one which reduces the uncertainty when
three subsystems operate upon one another. This reduction of the uncertainty
can be considered as a variant within the phase space or as selection by an
hypothesized next-order (emergent?) system. Since this system would have the
status of a hypothesis, it would all depend on the model and not on the
system under study. This external referent ("the phase space") would remain
tangential.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681;
[email protected] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/