RE: [Fis] biological "dynamics"

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 29 Jan 2006 - 19:26:02 CET

> And this interpretation is the meaning generation
> process (using Peircean terms, the sign of an object is
> interpreted to deliver a meaning "The Sign creates something
> in the Mind of the Interpreter"). Interpreter functions are
> natural parts of biological systems. So we may not need
> another dimension to take into account the meaning.
> All the best
> Christophe

Dear Christophe:

I agree with you about the "meaning generation" process--this is still
included in the biological model and accordingly in the Piercean one(!)--but
in addition to meaning generation, social (and psychological?) systems also
allow for meaning processing. The communication of meaning requires a
reflexive medium of communication, like human language.

It seems to me that this can be considered as the differentia specifica of
cultural (versus natural) systems. The process models of reality rather than
the external referent itself. In the sociology of science, one would call
this "epistemic objects" which are culturally constructed in the discourse
or by symbolic media of communication. My point was that this emergent
property adds a dimension to the communication and thus extends the maximum
entropy of the phase space of possible states.

With best wishes,

Loet