RE: [Fis] biological "dynamics"

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 29 Jan 2006 - 22:39:46 CET

Yes, I agree: the next-order (emerging) system can be expected to contain a
structure and therefore to operate as a selection mechanism on the
lower-level ones. The latter thus become more constrained. But the
constraint is at the phenotypical level; the system gains a degree of
freedom at the "genotypical" level, that is, analytically.

Best, Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681;
[email protected] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/