RE: [FMG-SPAM] - RE: [Fis] biological "dynamics" - Bayesian Filter detected spam

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 01 Feb 2006 - 09:14:45 CET

Dear John and colleagues,

The problem is old and transcends the domain of physics. Leibniz, for
example, was deeply troubled about the position of the soul in the new
mechanic philosophy. Traditionally, one opposes "grace" against "nature,"
and only by assuming a harmonia praestabilita the reduction to physics could
be warranted. The harmonia praestabilita "fixes" the next-order system.

Nowadays, we no longer oppose nature to grace, but to culture. Culture adds
degrees of freedom. As Marx said, "Die Natur baut keine Maschinen." These
cultural solutions are also not fixed: the steam engines of Marx's time are
now to be seen in musea.

> An interesting question is how we can add dimensions to a
> model of a system that is justified by our knowledge of the
> system. We do know that in standard physics, all
> possibilities are given by the phase space of the system.
> That is a matter of definition, so Loet is simply violating
> technical terminology in the passage quoted above. If we add
> dimensions to a model without justification, it is very easy
> to get the appearance of emergence without any reality to back it up.

The problem is in the concept of "reality" which you use. This reality of
physics does not include the social system as an order of expectations
or--to say it with Leibniz and Husserl--as another monad. If this
justification is dismissed as a transgression of the physical reality, then
the transdisciplinary communication stops and we would live in "two
cultures." From my perspective, however, your discourse can be understood as
one which contains a specific set of rationalized expectations about
"reality" or "nature" which can no longer understand the models of that
reality as parts of that reality. Insofar as a physicist manages to do this,
one has to assume that the models are already contained in this reality from
an origin. This is precisely Leibniz's position: everything (the phase
space) was given by God at the moment of the Creation and revealed to us
because of His Grace. Our access is thus secured transcendentally.

If order is not given ex ante, but constructed ex post, reality becomes an
order of expectations. Physics then is the discourse which provides us with
access on expectations concerning nature. One of the assumptions of the
specific discourse of physics is that the phase space is already given (and
revealed).

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681;
[email protected] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/