Fw: [Fis] art and meaning

From: Pavel Luksha <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 16 Feb 2006 - 14:33:14 CET

[this email was supposed to go to the mailing list, but it only went into
the private email, so I re-send it]

Dear Lauri & Pedro,

 The claim that arts are there to obtain new meanings should be supported.
 Say, we keep up to three 'realms': the everyday social practice, the
 scientific practice, and the irrational (or far less restricted) practices
 of art, mysticism, religion etc.
 In order to avoid inconsistencies within social systems, the variety of
 meanings must be minimized. Consider globalization: standard exchange
rules,
 unified language, unified culture etc. Also, science, as the method of
 production of verifiable inter-personal knowledge, tends to 'cluster'
within
 certain domains of meaning.
 It is thus left to art to produce 'pictures of the world' that are
 inadmissable neither in everyday life nor in scientific practice.

 I would, however, object that this is the only 'function' of art:

 First, please note, apart from that, that artists frequently consider
 themselves 'explorers' - but what do they explore? Perhaps they are not
only
 hinting everyday practices and science on 'where to go in the search of new
 meanings', they also look into areas where the science better should not
go.
 If the science enters these chambers, the magic is dispelled: many poets
 spent nights writing sonets to their lovers, but is it as poetic if they
 knew they were attracted by a composition of pheromones? So, we could
 suggest that arts deal with subjects too delicate to have 'hard' knowledge
 about, to be experienced rather than expressed.

 Second, allow me to remind you that it was only in 'ratio-biased' 18th
 century that art has become clearly identified as an alternative method of
 meaning-production. Before that, it went hand in hand with either religion
 (the sacred art ) or with everyday life (known at the time as 'crafts'). It
 was not supposed to 'explore', it was supposed to support, to invoke
 spiritual attitude or good moods. Only when art was fully liberated from
 crafts and religion, we observe the 'explosion' of 'meaning-production'
 (spans across a range of arts from early 20th century). Many people claim
that the art has lost its scope. It has also lost its moral imperatives,
 because these imperatives are NOT provided by arts.

 Therefore, I would also diagree that art is a technology of ethics. Ethical
 systems are not derived from art, they forerun artistic expressions of
 ethics. They are shaped by deep beliefs and values, that resolve personal
 existential questions (the problem of death and the meaning of life). This
 can only be done by some form of religion - or something that substitutes
 religion for a non-religious man.

 Best wishes,

 Pavel O. Luksha