SV: Fw: [Fis] art and meaning

From: Søren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 19 Feb 2006 - 13:13:00 CET

Dear Stan and Gordana

When you talk information here are you thinking of Shannon or Wiener information? Or some logical measure of structure and organization? Or do you include meaning?

Luhmann says that a message is consisting of meaning, information and the form of expression.

It makes sense to me that information is the quantitative and structural aspect of meaning and intention.

But I see no way of measuring meaning. Luhmann talks of a surplus of possibilities of choice and action, which, I do not find sufficient for instance to describe the meaning of a religious og philosophical message about the meaning of suffering and love.

   Søren