[Fis] Reclosure of the Closure of the Bionetwork Discussion.

From: Jerry LR Chandler <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 25 Feb 2006 - 17:18:01 CET

Dear FISers:

Posted below are the closure post and responses by Karl and John. H.

Apparently my views of bionetworks gave karl indigestion. I hope you
have recovered your usual good - humor by now.
I must say in advance, karl, that you risk further indigestion by
reading the remainder of this post!

As I continue my exploration of the interrelations between
bionetworks, mathematics, information and philosophy, I am enjoying
creating innovative positions based on syllogisms connected to the
atomic numbers. Recognition that this symbol system developed its
own unique form of grammatical sentences and syllogisms opens new
opportunities. Karl's responses gave me a hearty laugh.

   At the root of this activity is a simple fact, Karl.

Atomic numbers were created by the chemists for logical descriptions
of empirical material observations of networks of relations, both
biological and non-biological relations. Our understanding of these
numbers lead directly to our understanding of DNA as the genetic
material and as a source of genesis of life itself.

In order to understand the usage of these numbers, one must recognize
that chemists also developed and perfected proof methods; methods
that are syllogistic and parallel to the proof methods of mathematics.

My closure comments emerged from consideration of these facts, as
stated in various forms during the discussion.

Karl. if you wish to disagree with these facts, please state your
reasons.
Merely posting negative comments may relieve your indigestion, but
fails to contribute to the growth of the community.

Merely modifying my grammar to fit your personal philosophy does not
communicate anything to me except the absence of capacity to follow
rational arguments.

Firstly, I view all chemical processes as electrical flows.
Apparently you view electrical flows as something connected solely
with the central nervous system. I suggest you talk to an electro-
chemist and learn about the intimate relationships between the
historical development of electrical concepts concomitantly with
chemical concepts. Have you not heard of batteries?

Secondly, the language of chemistry was developed by the chemical
community to express empirical observations. If you wish to
subscribe tot he narrative of physics and mathematics, then you
should show - or, are obligated to show, that the the information of
DNA can be calculated using Shannon information, or, that you can
calculate the number of isomers of organic molecules or that
biological species are distinguishable in such language.

   In other words, the absence of correspondence between arithmetic
operations of mathematics and the operations of valence and covalent
bond re-arrangements are well known. Or, have you solved these
problems, Karl?

With regard to the third issue raised by Karl, you ignored the word,
"typically". Please read more carefully.

With regard to the fourth issue, Karl, please give us your methods of
calculating the information content of DNA as a molecule
participating in the genesis of a biomolecular network.

Karl, while I think that you express a philosophy held by many, if
you wish to disagree with my closure, then the appropriate way to do
so is to develop your arguments such that they are persuasive. Give
us your reasoning, not your bouts of indigestion!

----------

John:

You raise questions about consciousness, a very difficult problem
indeed.

In recent years, numerous philosophers have attempted to explicate
conscious phenomenon, using the languages that they understand or at
least, know the nouns.

In order to have a concrete abstraction about consciousness, one must
be able to do calculations, not merely use nouns in sentences.

This topic is far beyond the scope of biomolecular networks.
Consciousness is just one of the many emergent properties of certain
(not all!) bionetworks. I have little to say except that for eight
years I worked in the NIH Neurology Institute developing drugs for
brain diseases and for the past ten years I have been affiliated with
the Krasnow Institute for the study of Consciousness. I recommend a
healthy attitude of skepticism!

One example suffices.
If the nature of consciousness is a superposition of quantum states,
why does think normally during an MRI scan?

The reasoning is simple. The extremely strong magnetic field of the
MRI re-aligns the atomic nuclei. New quantum states are formed and
differences measured. If consciousness depends on quantum states,
why no noticeable differences in thinking?

(Does anyone have a plausible explication for this disappointment?)

Finally, fundamental questions are inherent in your questions as to
the issue of the nature of information.
  Is information a unitary concept? If so, why? If not, why not?
Is information a concrete abstraction? Or, merely a conscious
abstraction?
Is information individual? Or. is it a universal?
Is information a symbolic logical system? Or, merely a collation of
symbols?

Once again, I bid adieu.

Cheers to all.

Jerry