Re: [Fis] art and meaning

From: Christophe Menant <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 04 Mar 2006 - 02:04:27 CET

Dear Pavel,
The problem of the observer has for me one unique nature, be it applied to
humans or to simple organisms. The difference is about complexity, not about
nature. The Meaning Generator System covers this point by an evolutionary
approach. It is clore to the Peircean triadic system (MGS has been discussed
at the Peirce-l forum, and the paper “Information and Meaning” (1) is
referenced as Peirce related paper (2)).
Pls note that “information” is taken here in its basic form as a component
of a signal, a signal being a variation of energy (sound vibration, presence
of element like ink, …). Information is then the content of the energy
variation of the signal (modulation of sound, ink density, …). These points
are detailed in (1).
So the position of the observer is well determined by the MGS approach.
However, the grounding of the meaning is not only in the MGS. It is also in
the received information coming from the environment (see the two components
in/out of the grounding in last summer FIS2005 presentation (3)).
But the MGS approach does not take the case of human as a starting point.
And this is the point where it differs from the existing theories on meaning
anchored in phenomenology or in analytic philosophy.
In order to correctly chain the levels of analysis with an evolutionary
approach, you have to explicitly consider what you know or don’t know
relatively to the systems you are considering. Basic reflex behaviour in
simple living organisms match easily with a MGS having to satisfy a
constraint like staying alive. The MGS introduces explicit causal relations.
No “animating spirit” is assigning meaning to a substance. And at this level
of evolution, there is no human entity to consciously understand the
process. Like in all evolutionary approaches, it is just about proposing a
reverse engineering scenario built up by us humans, after the facts.
Going higher thru evolution of life brings us to the problems related to the
nature of self-consciousness where there are still many open questions. At
this level, the constraints of the MGS are much more complex to define
because notions that we do not understand are to be introduced like
conscious autonomy, freedom of action, conscious subjectivity and ethics. A
lot of work is to be done in order to relate these new performances to
constraints satisfactions. Will it even be possible ? … I Like to consider
that we will some day reach this level understanding, and I feel that such
approaches can even introduce original views on the nature of
self-consciousness. See abstract for TSC 2006 (4).
Regarding your last point about heterogeneity of observers, the MGS allows
to look at it in terms of heterogeneity of constraints and systems (same
object, same sign, different interpreters). And going one step further, this
subject is close to the transmission of meaningful information between
systems when a meaningful information generated by a system is transmitted
to another system. The receiving system can generate a meaning that will be
consistent or not with the one generated by the transmitter, depending on
the similarity of the systems and constraints. There we have to introduce
the notion of “domain of efficiency of a meaning” (1) which brings us to
subjects like share of values and ethics.

Best
Christophe (http://crmenant.free.fr/Home-Page/index.HTM)

(1) http://www.mdpi.org/entropy/papers/e5020193.pdf
(2) http://members.door.net/arisbe/menu/library/aboutcsp/aboutcsp.htm