Re: [Fis] ON INFORMATION ETHICS

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 18 Mar 2006 - 23:17:44 CET

I note something salient in Rafael's posting -- his insistence upon
returning to the notion of informational constraint as it relates to
"blocking development". As someone who senses that development around the
world has gotten altogether 'out of hand', I wonder why he feels that this
is so crucial. Perhaps it is just that the view from different societies
is different. My view is from a center of development -- the US, where all
values have become subsumed into exchange value by the persons who 'count'
-- that is, those who became wealthy through development, and the
government they support, mutually. In societies that are already highy
'developed' -- the 'West' -- there is only one trajectory to follow upon
further development -- the road into senescence, a situation poised for
destruction by any major perturbation. Obviouly we cannot reverse
development, but we could try to restrain it so that our cultural maturity
might last longer than it likely would once the system has become senescent.