Re: [Fis] social opacity

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 07 Apr 2006 - 18:58:31 CEST

Dear Pedro and all,

ethics as a scientific discipline is viable at all times. It has been so for
thousands of years in our tradition. I see no reason why we should/could
stop reflecting on morals. This would mean a re-action that would block (or
intend to block) the process of giving ourselves reasons for our actions.
The foundation of ethics is itself not the same as the foundations of
morals, if we compare ethics with physics (and morals with nature) then the
foundations of ethics corresponds to the foundations of physics (which is
not a physical but a philosophical matter).

Regarding Maturana and Varela: As you probably know, Varela published a very
remarkable book on ethics "Un know-how per l'etica" (Roma 1992) in which he
describes how morality (!) is "enacted" in bodily reactions, i.e. as bodily
"know how".
This is similar to what Aristotle says about "habits" ("hexis"). Varela's
book is a reflection on morality, i.e. it is a book on ethics but ethics is
not itself a foundation of moral action (at
least not directly). The question of the sources (or "forces") for moral
action
is a deep and very controversial (ethical) question not only in Western
thought (think about the difference between Rousseau and Hobbes concerning
human nature).

kind regards

Rafael

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) University of Applied Sciences, Wolframstr. 32,
70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: rafael@capurro.de; capurro@hdm-stuttgart.de
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net