Re: Fw: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Viktoras Didziulis <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 21 Apr 2006 - 14:33:23 CEST

No, exactly the opposite. Ethic ensures survival of those that are
non-fittest. And those that are fit may not like this at all :-) For example
cancer cells are very fit, nearly immortal if compared to normal cells, but
their survival would kill the entire system they are part of... So immune
system has to eliminate or isolate them at any cost. One may find examples
in our societies as well, up to the point where those "very fit" wish to
supress rights of the non-fit, but something we call ethical norms luckily
and at least does not allow them to take any unethical action without being
noticed and warned by the whole society , not just by a single individual...

Survival of non fittest in social environment is like polymorphism in
natural populations. It ensures survival of population (as a higher level
system) under changing environment. Thus a population or the society as a
higher level system somehow 'knows' about this and seeks to maintain this
internal diversity as a mixture of fit and not-so-fit simply because
definition of fitness may varie with changing environment. Ethics (e.G.
Protecting everyones right to live, etc...) is a tool to ensure this
diversity in human society too. I would say some elements of instinctive
ethics may be observed in animal populations as well - like parental care,
uniting for defense against predators, defense of a buddy, etc...

All the best!
Viktoras