Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 25 Apr 2006 - 23:31:40 CEST

Commenting upon Michael's: A term that has been widely used (after Sartre)
to stand for "integrity" was 'authenticity'. I feel that this is deeply
important, but I would not exaggerate its connection to 'aloneness' so
much. As one who is much (by choice) alone, I realize that I am not REALLY
alone (here I am on this list!). Importantly, no one needs to be alone now
that the internet is upon us. As well, even as I -- following Candide --
'cultivate my own garden', I am connected (in my case) to the vanishing
world of woodland plants and wildflowers. These had a rich history --
believe it or not -- in the history of the United States (it IS hard to
believe!), where Jefferson among other important early worthies, discussed
them (in the sense of distinguising them from similar European species --
it was another way of distinguishing themselves as valid) animatedly. Who
in Bush's country can imagine a president who was seriously concerned with
wildflowers?!!!!!!. (There was in the Nineteen Fifties a senator from
Maine who also had such concerns.) Alone in my garden, the shadow of
Jefferson looms, and of the Indian peoples who made medicines from the
plants, and of Marquet and Joliet, who survived upon wild leeks (pushing up
through the soil here even now!) during their famous trip down the Ohio
River.

STAN