Re: [Fis] General Question: Definition of information

From: Ted Goranson <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 27 Apr 2006 - 17:36:39 CEST

Lauri Gr�hn wrote on 3/16/06:
>On 16.3.2006, at 12.16, Karl Javorszky wrote:
>
>>Thank you for focusing on the core of the work. I have tried to find the
>>
>>main points of Marcin's "general question", which in a way is an answer to
>>
>>Richard's wish for a definition of information.
>>

>I just wonder this:
>
>Must one know the molecule structure of water before one can swim?

But Lauri, it isn't about swimming but understanding what swimming is.

I suppose there are all sorts of motivations for
this, and I have pressed FIS to list them because
I believe no useful "definitions" can result
unless we scope to what use they are to be put.
To stick with the swimming analogy, my own
motivation is to cast the entire world in all
dimensions as much into "swimming" as I can. This
includes my own inept paddling as well as that of
other organisms large and small, chemical and
elementary, natural and artificial (using
whatever definition of artificial you wish), in
solitary and societal configurations (again using
any notion of "society").

My hope is that the notion of the analogous
"swimming" is so rich and amenable to
codifications where necessary that it can serve
as a basis for understanding and participating in
the world. Swimming to me necessarily involves a
certain lucidity about the medium.

One can choose to just be blind, I suppose. But
they won't be the folks you'd find here.

So goes my first allowed message of the week. I
use this part of my allowance because it segues
into the ethics topic. The link between ethics
and information for me is in the motivation. I
choose to explore building a new science informed
by information because in part it places my mind
in the world as an agent in some way as a citizen.

With this, I can then use the vehicle of whatever
science of information that results to "carry"
notions (presumably retailored ones) like ethics
to cells and particles, and understand both why
and how I swim in the world, but how it swims in
me.

Best, Ted