Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 02 May 2006 - 11:50:44 CEST

Dear Luis,

this is a very important issue in ethics indeed.
We have, as you remark, a long tradition (starting with Socrates and the
Sophists in the West) about it that considers the choice of the good as only
(!) dependent on knowledge/information. This is the
intellectualist position. The other position, which we could call a
"decisionist" one, stresses the importance of the will as source of good/bad
action. Neither of these positions can be considered by themselves as
satisfactory. Common sense teaches us that the mere knowledge about what is
supposed to be a better option (and moral decisions are taken by being aware
of different options of human behavior) is not enough for doing the good.
Without a "good will" (Kant) no good moral action comes forth.

But, on the other hand, there is no pure decision as such, i.e. all human
decision are already "in-formed" my previous knowledge (mostly implicit) of
what is the good "rule" of action. They are based on the common accepted
morality in a society. This (implicit) morality has an important role
because it allows us to act on "good conscience" without having to reflect
every time we have to decide something. Thisis also the case of law, but law
is basically local (international law is difficult to apply as there is no
"central power". This makes the importance of explicit quasi-moral rules
(like the Univ. Declaration of Human Rights) so important and also the
international/intercultural ethical discussion (such as in our list).

We cannot make always an explicit (intellectual) analysis of every human
action i.e. of every action implying rationality. In Scholastic philosophy
there is a famous distinction between "actio humana" (rational action) and
"actio hominis" (i.e. all other kinds of action that are not reflected my
rationality). So, by making explicit our motivations and by reflecting once
more on the structure of morality in ethical theory (this is then some kind
of second order reflection), i.e. by explicit "in-forming" the will, there
is still the question of taking "de facto" the decision. In order for a
decision to be qualified as a moral one it is necessary to view the reasons
lead by "maximes" (Kant) or judgements that are "categorical" (i.e. related
to the action itself, not to the motivations of the actor),
intersubjectively proved or generalizable/universalizable (also Kant).

But also the other older (Western) tradition of ethics is important. It is
no related to ethics as theory of morality centred on moral judgments, but
on a theory of "good life" and open to local and individualizable options.
Of course, in our globalized world, what is "good" in the local level can be
very bad in the global level, and vice verse. So it would be a bad theory if
we would oppose the old and the new (modern) tradition of ethical thinking.
In other words, in-forming our moral actions implice a double-bind
reflection (universality and particularity) but it rests finally on the
question about the will itself a stated alredy by Aristotle (against
Socrates/Plato): the goal of ethical theory is doing the good, i.e. it is
something external to this theory. The great question is then what "moves"
us to do the good/the bad.

kind regards

Rafael

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) University of Applied Sciences, Wolframstr. 32,
70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: rafael@capurro.de; capurro@hdm-stuttgart.de
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net