Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 04 May 2006 - 20:36:01 CEST

Dear Pedro,

very shortly: I would not be so pessimistic concerning
the advancement of ethics (as a scientific discipline) at
least if we take rationality as a basis for scientific research
also in the field of morals. But I am skeptical concerning
the moral advancement of humanity even if the influence
of rational (ethical) thinking is not marginal at least on a
middle or long term. Trying to found (good) reasons for
our desires is an important achievement in ethical thinking
(instead of searching for emotional, religious etc. grounds).
But, of course, this kind of reasoning presupposes that
the *measure* for the goodness of reasons and the will
to act conformingly is not identical to the reasoning process
itself (=intellectualism). And it presupposes also the
capacity to revise our options once we see that what we
considered as *good reason* has bad consequences.
kind regards
Rafael

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM) University of Applied Sciences, Wolframstr. 32,
70191 Stuttgart, Germany
Private: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: rafael@capurro.de; capurro@hdm-stuttgart.de
Voice Stuttgart: + 49 - 711 - 25706 - 182
Voice private: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
Homepage ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
Homepage IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net