Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: M. Nagenborg <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 06 May 2006 - 11:41:21 CEST

Dear Pedro,
dear all,

Pedro Marijuan wrote:
> ... My point is that most of knowledge impinging on social life
> matters is of informal, implicit, practical, experiential nature. How
> can one gain access to cognitive "stocks" of such volatile nature?
> Only by living, by socializing, by a direct hands-on participation...
> Each new generation has to find its own way, to co-create its own
> socialization path. No moral or ethical progress then!!! (contrarily
> to the advancement of other areas of knowledge).
I think, at this point, it is very important to keep the distinction
between morality and ethics as scientific reasoning about morality.

The problem how to transmit ideas from one generation to another does
exist in very discipline. Everyone who is trying to become an expert in
a special field of knowledge has to be educated in this special field
(or has to educate himself). There is nothing special with "Ethics" in
this regard.

Also, I am not sure, if the generation-model is a very good way of
describing a society when it comes to education, because this implies
that one generation follows another. This seems to be too simple to me:
what we have is a overlapping of generations (not just two of them) and
I am not quite sure if the generation model is really that important for
living in a network society.
> Obviously, learning machines or techno environments cannot substitute
> for a socialization process --a side note for "prophets" of the
> computational.
But learning machines and techno environments should be at least look at
as something that may sharp the socialization process and might also
lead to conflicts between the generation, who designed the technology,
and the ones, who have to live with such an environment - at least if
one does not believe in real autonomous, moral artificial beings which
morality is in no way connected to the morality of the designers.

On the other hand they may be also helpful to transmit ethical thinking
(or at least moral values), so that they might even become as helpful in
making advancements in this area of knowledge as good old fashioned
books and other information technology devices.

Best regards,
Michael Nagenborg

--
Dr. phil. Michael Nagenborg