Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 08 May 2006 - 20:14:18 CEST

Dear Pedro,

I think we set our sights too low and we give up too soon if the best we
can do is treat ethics as "the art of moral problem solving." The
conflict and horrors in the social orders of our species follows
directly from such ambiguity. Earlier attempts may be incomplete or
failed but the pursuit still has merit.

I think it necessary, in terms of the "highest good," to pursue a
scientific foundation of ethics. One that may eventually provide the
sound underpinning of a new global society able to navigate its
diversity by reference to natural foundations.

The arts too will benefit from and be expanded by such a foundation in
my view.

As to economics, I clearly prefer that ethics is not driven by
economics. I believe that, in any case, the reverse is true.

With respect,
Steven