Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Steven Ericsson Zenith <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 11 May 2006 - 01:44:56 CEST

We surely have nothing to fear from knowing how ethics work in the world
and applying that knowledge can only help us all. Any effort to
establish a science of ethics can only be done without prejudice and by
following wherever it leads. We cannot expect it to concur with our
existing conventions or support existing prejudices. As to "morality"
this seems to me to be a term applied to notions that have no foundation
except precedence. There can be no room for such precedence in an
honest effort of this kind.

As observed earlier, for me natural ethics are the cause of inevitable
behaviors. These behaviors are mitigated by conventions. One can
readily see these behaviors are tractable to good logic and are thus
likely to be predictable. Conventions are only useful in so far as they
mitigate for the optimization of the goals by individuals. Arbitrary
conventions, by which good sense is vastly outnumbered today, is the
cause of chaos and enslaves us.

Michael does not mind considering ethics and medical science an art form
- I object on both counts :-) since this seems to me a most
unsatisfactory state of affairs. In this context "art form" simply
means hand-waving and appeals to mystery - it does not mean "Art."

Further, it seems futile to me to attempt to wrest sense from "moral
facts" - this is as futile as any other deconstruction. A science of
ethics demands we rebuild the world on natural foundations.

With respect,
Steven