RE: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics - psotconference thought

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 11 May 2006 - 11:21:26 CEST

Hi Pedro, Rafael

Thanks for a fascinating session which opened up some windows and let in some
(occasionally foggy)air. But I still see the possibility a future IS which
will redefine metaphysics, ethics and science itself (a bit like Ted G.)
where the essential shape of 'in-form-ation' is identified as an
interrupted circle, cycle, circulation, circularity (and first occurring in
Greek philosophy sometime between Thales and Socrates).

This 1996 paper by Adrian Mckenzie looks at bioethics through a postmodern
prism.
http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/pmc/text-only/issue.196/mackenzie.196

The 'difference/differentiation/circularity' paradigms of Bateson, Deleuze
Varela et al prevent us from reverting to linear solutions or to the
revival of medieval scientism which seriously threatens to dominate Eastern
and Western thought ('intelligent design' movement in the USA, religious
fundamentalism in East and West, demise of the academe etc).

This strikes me as the major 'ethical' problem for our time. Compared to
those acts the digital agenda of posthumanism may be just a side show at
the circus of Science.

I'm looking forward to hearing which school of 'quantum information' is the
most convincing...I suspect that (like librarians) some physicists may have
latched on to the
concept of information (as a flashy synonym for data) to successfully
enhance their professional reputations.

John H

Quote - 'At the end of the day earthly death is nothing but a dearth of
information' - Anon