Re: [Fis] The Identity of Ethics

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 11 May 2006 - 23:43:52 CEST

Reacting to Michael's posting: I find the continued loose use of 'fascism'
obfuscating. In , e.g., Mussolini's writings, we find that fascism refers
to a system of political organization based on the notion that the social
system is more important than the individual (which for people is quite
self-evidently true!). Individuals are bound together in 'fascia'. I find
that I myself am an 'ecofascist' -- that is to say , I hold the ethical
view that the health of our global environment is more important than the
desires or needs of individual people -- or of organizations like
corporations or states. In many cases it truly is "either jobs or
environment". I offer one saddening observation -- but we must brace
ourselves -- curing the diseases rampant in the world will clearly (as
Malthus said) result in a devastating poulation growth. Cure those
diseases that cause pain -- yes!, but I think we cannot afford to cure
those that cause death.

Sadly

STAN